Saturday, October 27, 2007

It's in the details...

Okay, this will be boring and I am writing this one more for myself...I'm sitting here, it is very windy, cold and raining hard. Andy has gone to the hockey game with his dad which is nice. The house is cosy because we have the woodstove on and it is lovely! Ella is finishing up some ice cream before bed dawdling before we move onto baths, teeth and pj's.

We had been snuggling together on the Fraser Crane chair and as I was about to get up to get her icecream, she reached up and cupped my face in her hands and told me she would go to bed for me once she was done eating...it was such a sweet gesture. It reminded me of the importance of kind gestures, kind words, and how the greatest gifts we give one another is tenderness.

Andy knows that a sure fire way to win a smile is to bring me home a coffee or a chocolate bar...the item is small but it is the thought behind it. When I was a kid in Ireland, my mum never, ever had much money. I recall an occassion when she was going to the grocery store. I asked her to bring me back a treat (echos of ella in my head)...she showed me her purse and it only had a few coins...however, when she returned, she gave me and brothers two mojos each...I love those candies...but what I remember more was feeling loved and knowing my mum was thinking about me and how much I appreciated her buying them...

It has been another crazy week...hockey is now in full swing which means lots of driving and sitting in cold rinks, Ella had a field trip to the museum, met with some friends, visited the doctor and my friend surprised us with tickets to see the Lipizzaner Stallions which Ella loved...me not so much! It was also the first time she drank some orange pop ever...she has never had it...she was supposed to get a slushie but instead she got a pop...she called it spicey!







My brother came for dinner which was wonderful because I haven't seen him for a while because he has been sooo busy building another house and driving a total of three hours per day to attend classes here in the city. Oh, and my splurge for the week was getting my eyebrows done! I love that!

In the picture below, it was sunny and fairly warm for the end of October...the boys and their friends were out on the road playing road hockey. Ella surprised them by dressing up in her cheerleading outfit and cheering them on....she was so confident singing away, even as strangers passed her by...smiling at this little spitfire of a four year old.

I finally bribed her with a hot chocolate to get her to come inside!

1 comment:

Elle Jay Bee said...

What a wonderful post...I hadn't seen it till now! It made me miss you all the more. I wish I could be around for life's little moments with you and your little treasures instead of everything being planned...

Linda